Kaikorai Presbyterian Church – Early History

The original church and manse in 1868.
[Image (K126) from Kaikorai Presbyterian Church 1868-1918 Jubilee Souvenir Booklet]

Historical Narrative

From pages 22-23 of Kaikorai Presbyterian Church Jubilee Booklet (1868-1918)

The following interesting narrative, written by the Rev. Robert Hood, who resided at Halfway Bush, and who greatly interested himself in the formation of the Congregation, is extracted from the original Session book of the Congregation, and forms a prelude to the first Minutes:-

First Prayer Meetings

In the year 1852 a weekly prayer meeting was commenced in the district of Wakari and Kaikorai (then commonly called the Halfway Bush) by the Rev. Mr. Jeffreys, who resided at the Forbury. These meetings were continued regularly after Mr. Jeffreys left the district, first at “Hood Hall” (old Fern-tree house), the Rev. Robert Hood’s, and thereafter at the Wakari Schoolhouse. Continue reading

Comparison aerial views of Kaikorai – 1947 and 2007

1947 and 2007 aerial views of a section of Kaikorai centred around the reserve.

Continue reading

Pensioner flats opposite the Kaikorai Presbyterian Church

Construction of the first 10 units began in May 1955.

Pensioner flats under construction opposite the Kaikorai Presbyterian Church.

Pensioner flats under construction opposite the Kaikorai Presbyterian Church.

Continue reading

Roslyn Shops pre 1907

Laurenson's Bakery - Mann, Bookseller - Sherriff, Butcher - Clarkson, Hairdresser [Photograph (K168) courtesy of Mr Grant Sherriff - Roslyn]

Laurenson’s Bakery – Mann, Bookseller – Sherriff, Butcher – Clarkson, Hairdresser
[Photograph (K168) courtesy of Mr Grant Sherriff – Roslyn]

Continue reading

Kaikorai Primary School Certificates & Prizes

A couple of certificates and prizes from the 1930s.

Good Attendance Certificate, 1932

Good Attendance Certificate, 1932

Continue reading

Roslyn shops and shop keepers recalled in 1969

An area of the city which is losing some of its rather special character as buildings are being replaced by new is the Roslyn Township. The little dairy on the far right, which is more than 100 years old, has just been demolished.

An area of the city which is losing some of its rather special character as buildings are being replaced by new is the Roslyn Township. The little dairy on the far right, which is more than 100 years old, has just been demolished.

Continue reading

Kaikorai Brass Band, 1907

Kaikorai Brass Band, winners of the North and South Island championship shields at the International Exhibition in Christchurch. From the Otago Daily Times of 29 September 2007

Kaikorai Brass Band, winners of the North and South Island championship shields
at the International Exhibition in Christchurch. From the Otago Daily Times of 29 September 2007

Continue reading