The original church and manse in 1868.
[Image (K126) from Kaikorai Presbyterian Church 1868-1918 Jubilee Souvenir Booklet]
From pages 22-23 of Kaikorai Presbyterian Church Jubilee Booklet (1868-1918)
The following interesting narrative, written by the Rev. Robert Hood, who resided at Halfway Bush, and who greatly interested himself in the formation of the Congregation, is extracted from the original Session book of the Congregation, and forms a prelude to the first Minutes:-
First Prayer Meetings
In the year 1852 a weekly prayer meeting was commenced in the district of Wakari and Kaikorai (then commonly called the Halfway Bush) by the Rev. Mr. Jeffreys, who resided at the Forbury. These meetings were continued regularly after Mr. Jeffreys left the district, first at “Hood Hall” (old Fern-tree house), the Rev. Robert Hood’s, and thereafter at the Wakari Schoolhouse. Continue reading
1947 and 2007 aerial views of a section of Kaikorai centred around the reserve.
Construction of the first 10 units began in May 1955.
Pensioner flats under construction opposite the Kaikorai Presbyterian Church.
A couple of certificates and prizes from the 1930s.
Good Attendance Certificate, 1932
The Kaikorai line was the last of the three cable car services to be constructed for the hill suburbs of Dunedin. Construction of the line from the Octagon to the Nairn Street terminus at Kaikorai commenced in 1897 and took three years to complete. The first tram ran on 9th October 1900.
Looking at the picture (above left) you will see some “U” shaped devices either side of the tracks being constructed. These were made from sections of the steel tracks and were put into the ground with the open end upwards. You can see these in the centre of the tracks where the ‘tunnel’ for the cable car gripper was to travel.
Initially a steel wire rope was used but this later changed to a ‘conventional’ rope in 1940. The rope lasted a bit less than 2 years before having to be replaced.
This photograph would have been taken after 1900 when the Kaikorai cable cars commenced as the power house chimney is visible as are the cable car sheds. It was prior to 1907 as the new Kaikorai Presbyterian Church is not shown, just the ‘T’ shaped wooden church. Note the buildings on the Nairn Street edge of what was later to be the reserve area and the little shelter for cable car passengers to use (marked with arrow). Jellicoe Crescent curves round at the left of the picture.
(Original article by Alan Gilchrist)