Kaikorai Presbyterian Church – Early History

The original church and manse in 1868.
[Image (K126) from Kaikorai Presbyterian Church 1868-1918 Jubilee Souvenir Booklet]

Historical Narrative

From pages 22-23 of Kaikorai Presbyterian Church Jubilee Booklet (1868-1918)

The following interesting narrative, written by the Rev. Robert Hood, who resided at Halfway Bush, and who greatly interested himself in the formation of the Congregation, is extracted from the original Session book of the Congregation, and forms a prelude to the first Minutes:-

First Prayer Meetings

In the year 1852 a weekly prayer meeting was commenced in the district of Wakari and Kaikorai (then commonly called the Halfway Bush) by the Rev. Mr. Jeffreys, who resided at the Forbury. These meetings were continued regularly after Mr. Jeffreys left the district, first at “Hood Hall” (old Fern-tree house), the Rev. Robert Hood’s, and thereafter at the Wakari Schoolhouse. Continue reading

The Coal Yard & other stories (Part 7)

Schools in the district

Bill and Martha Ellis’s children all attended the Kaikorai School in Roslyn, whereas the Fred and Ellen Still’s children mostly attended Wakari School on the corner of Anderston Road (now Shetland Street) and Helensburgh Road. This school had first started in 1868 as a clay walled building across the Helensburgh Road and was later to become the Church of Good Shepherd.

The first school is the white building on the right hand corner and the newer stone  and brick building is across the road. The Still family lived in the cottage is above  the hedge which is above the School Master's house.

The first school is the white building on the right hand corner and the newer stone
and brick building is across the road. The Still family lived in the cottage is above
the hedge which is above the School Master’s house.

Continue reading