James Gifford Laurenson (J.P.) was the proprietor of the Baker & Grocer shop at 109-111 Highgate.
John Mann bookseller & newsagent is the smaller shop to the right of Laurenson’s is 113 Highgate.
Arthur Grant Sherriff was the proprietor of the butcher shop at this time and the postcard from which this photograph was extracted shows the area as being High Street, Roslyn. In fact, Sherriff’s shop was at No.1 Taieri Road (1919 directory) and prior to this Taieri Road started from Sligo Terrace. The section from Sligo Terrace to Highgate later became the top end of City Road.
J.Clarkson was a hairdresser and tobacconist at the righthand side of the butcher shop.
Photograph of the location pre-1907, and in 2006.
[Original article by Alan Gilchrist]