On 1st November 1912 Roslyn Borough amalgamated with Dunedin City, and at that time Kaikorai was part of the Roslyn Borough. The vast majority of Kaikorai street names were changed shortly after this, no doubt to avoid confusion with existing streets within the city.
Albert Street Wakari, in 1902 later changed to Berwick Street.
Albert Street (prior to 1890) is now part of Stuart Street (the city end between York Place and Sligo Terrace). Was renamed Stuart Street on 1 January 1951 (Source DCC Archives).
Albert Street (other location) shown in 1909 street directory was located where Dunblane Street is now.
Alpha Street was renamed Delta Street some time after 1919 but before 1935.
Anderson’s Crescent off Michie Street is currently Huntley Ave.
Anderstons Road changed to Shetland Street. (still Anderstons Road in 1909 street directory).
Ann Street – No change since 1913 map. Taieri Road end now no entry/exit.
Arthur Street off Edward Street, which is now Greenock Street, was called Fife Street from around 1913.
Ayr Street – No change since 1913 map but was View Street prior to this.
Begg Street was renamed Culloden Street in 1951.
Belgrave Crescent was Victoria Crescent some time prior to 1913.
Bellevue Street Belleknowes – no change.
Beresford Street was Brighton Street till about 1951, and pre 1913 was Broughton Street.
Brighton Street became Beresford Street about 1951 and pre 1913 was Broughton Street.
Broughton Street till 1913 when changed to Brighton Street then Beresford Street from 1951.
Bruce Street – off Ross Street, no change since 1888.
Castle Street – off Kaikorai Valley Road (1902 map) is now Frasers Road.
Chapel Street – No change since 1913 map, but was previously Manse Street (1902).
Charles Street on 1913 map is crossed out and replaced by Merlin Street.
Church Street changed to Nairn Street prior to 1909.
City Road on a city map dated 1913 it is shown running from Sligo Terrace (Town Belt) passing through Highgate and continuing right down to Nairn Street intersection. Taieri Road was then called Main West Taieri Road, started at Church St (Nairn St) and continued up the hill to Wakari. A 1919 map shows Taieri Road running from the Town Belt (Sligo Terrace) through Roslyn township, down to Nairn Street, and then continuing on towards Halfway Bush. After the demise of the cable cars in 1947, and with the extending of Stuart Street to become Stuart Street Extension, Stuart Street now continues on the Kaikorai side of Highgate and ends at Kaikorai Valley Road. Currently, City Road runs from Arthur Street, past the Town Belt and ends at Highgate.
Clyde Street changed to Oban Street some time between 1909 and 1913.
Coleridge Street off Kaikorai Valley Road, used to be Rose Street till 1/1/1951.
County Road – No change since 1913 map but does not appear on 1909 street directory. 1902 map shows it as being Old District Road.
Coupar? Street appears on a 1913 map but Coupar crossed out and replaced by Gilmore Street. On the 1902 Stones Street Map this street is shown as Stuart Street.
Culloden Street used to be Begg Street till 1951.
Dale Street – No change since 1902 map.
David Street – now Hood Street off south end of Helensbugh Road (which was Helensburn Road).
Dean Street – No change since 1913 map.
Delta Street was Alpha Street prior to somewhere between 1919 and 1935.
District Road shown on 1919 map between Tyne Street and Highgate. Changed to be extension of School Street. Strangely it appears it was School Street on 1913 map. However, the 1909 Stones Directory indicates “District Road (see High Street)” and 1888 directory show it as being District Road. Note: High Street became Highgate in 1903 on the south of the Roslyn shops but only changed on the north side to Maori Hill in 1906.
Dunblane Street is shown as Albert Street in 1909 street directory.
Edgar Street (Wakari) used to be Wakari Street till at least 1902.
Edward Street previously named King Street (1888), changed to Edward Street in 1908 then Greenock Street from 1913.
Eildon Street On 1913 and 1935 maps (off Brighton/Beresford St between Farley and Nairn Sts). 1936, 1942 & 1950 Stones Directory says between 23 & 25 Brighton Street. Is no doubt the lane that is there now which we used to use as a shortcut from Brighton Street to Jellicoe Crescent, cutting down through the long pathway that went in to 23a Jellicoe Crescent (McKenzie’s).
Erin Street was King Street before 1913. Previously King St until 1913. [apparently] this part of Roslyn was known as ‘Irish Town’ because of the large number of Irishmen residing there around the turn of the century. For this reason Erin St would be a popular choice for a new name. Carriageway reconstructed, DCC 1956-57, 1957-58. Made one-way City Road to Sligo Terrace, Bylaw 44, 13/4/1954″ Quoted from George Griffiths manuscript.Source – DCC archives.
Eton Street – No change since 1913 map.
Falcon Street – No change since 1913 map – previously James Street. Robert Falcon Scott (June 6, 1868 – March 29, 1912) was a British naval officer and Antarctic explorer. – see more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Falcon_Scott
Farley Street No change since 1913 map. Note: Farley Street in Kaikorai was named after Henry Farley (source ODT 15 Oct 1955 p 3), who established the Vauxhall Gardens in the 1860s, and also built the Arcade (now Broadway) and Farleyâ€™s Buildings on the corner of Princes and Dowling Streets. A great deal of information on Henry Farley can be found in Ian Dougherty’s publication ‘Vauxhall Gardens’ which was published in 2007.
Fife Street – No change since 1913 map. Used to be called Arthur Street till at least 1909.
Font Street – No change since 1913 map.
Forth Street became Walton Street around 1913?
Frances Crescent changed to Jellicoe Crescent around 1913.
Frasers Road – No change since 1913 map but was Castle Street on 1902 map.
Frederick Street became Sheen Street some time before 1913.
Gibson Street was previously Main Street till at least 1909.
Gilmore Street on 1913 map shows Coupar? Street crossed out and replaced by Gilmore. In the 1902 Stones street map Gilmore Street is shown as Stuart Street.
Greenock Street – No change since 1913 map. Previously Edward Street from 1908, but was King Street prior to 1907.
Hastings Street – just says ‘Place’ on 1902 map.
Helensburgh Road was previously Helensburn Road (1909 directory) – 1919 directory shows as Helensburgh Road.
Helensburn Road in 1888 and 1909 directory – now Helensburgh Road from at least 1919.
Hereford Street – No change since 1913 map, but shown as Williams Street on 1902 map.
High Street Changed to Highgate in the Roslyn area in 1913 but only changed to Highgate in Maori Hill in 1916.Source – DCC archives.
Highgate Previously High Street (see further information in line above). Was District Road in 1888 street directory.
Hill Street (Wakari) 1902, now Mount Street.
Hood Street was David Street in 1909 and earlier directories – appeared as Hood St in 1919 directories.
Jackson Street is now Kinsman Street.
James Street (1909) is now Falcon Street.
Jellicoe Crescent used to be Frances Crescent before 1913.
Jervois Street in 1902 listing is now Pennant Street.
John Street later renamed Oates Street.
Kaikorai Valley Road – No change since 1913 map.
King Street (Roslyn) ran from the Town Belt to City Road, became Erin Street some time after about 1913. [This part of Roslyn was known as ‘Irish Town’ because of the large number of Irishmen residing there around the turn of the century. For this reason Erin St would be a popular choice for a new name.] Source – DCC archives.
King Street (Kaikorai) on 1902 map became King Edward Street 1907 to avoid confusion with the King Street off Kaikorai Valley Road (see next reference). It later changed to Edward Street (1908) and became Greenock Street in 1913. Source – DCC archives.
King Street (Lower Kaikorai Valley) listed in 1888 in Bradford (off Kaikorai Valley Road), renamed Marshall Street in 1916. Source – DCC archives. See also Mansford Street.
King Edward Street Kaikorai, previously King Street but due to confusion the name was changed. Changed to Edward Street in 1908, eventually becoming Greenock Street in 1913. Source – DCC archives.
Kinsman Street was Jackson Street.
Linden Street is now Wright Street (was Wright Street on 1919 map, but shown as Linden St on 1913 map).
Lismore Lane Appears from 1950 directory.
Littlebourne Cres is now Strathmore Cres.
Loom Street – No change since 1913 map.
McMillan Street – (Maori Hill) was McMillan Road in 1919.
Main Street shown in 1888, 1902 and 1909 directories, now Wairoa Street from 1913.
Main West Taieri Road back in 1888 is shown as running from Forth Street (now Walton Street) past Kaikorai Presbyterian Church and onwards to Halfway Bush (and probably to the Taieri).
Malta Street – No change since 1919 map.
Manse Street – renamed Chapel Street from 1913.
Mansford Street – listed off Kaikorai Valley Road in 1911 directory. 1919 directory lists Mansford Street as (see under Marshall Street).
Mardale Street – No change since 1913 map. Appears to have been Vale Street in 1888.
Marshall Street – off Kaikorai Valley Road was called King Street till 1916. However, it was listed as Mansford Street in the 1911 directory.
Mary Street is shown off Hood Street (LHS from bottom) on maps of 1913 to 1935 era. Appears to have been Queen Street before 1909. No longer shown on 1950s maps.
Mellor Street construction work commenced and was completed over the period 1959-1960.
Merlin Street shows on 1913 map as Charles Street crossed out and replaced by Merlin Street. Was Waverley Street in 1909.
Mount Street (Wakai) was Hill Street till at least 1902.
Mull Street is shown off Hood Street (RHS from bottom)on map of 1913 era.
Nairn Street was previously Church Street. (was Nairn St on 1913 map).
Nevis Street shown on 1913 map off Brighton/Beresford St on RHS opposite top of Farley St.
Oates Street – No change since 1913 map. Taieri Road end now entry only. Was called John Street in 1888 and 1909 directories. Oates Street was named after Captain Lawrence Edward Grace Oates (March 17, 1880 – March 17, 1912) a British Antarctic explorer – see more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates .
Oban Street Was Clyde Street in 1888 and 1909 directories. Oban Street from 1913 map.
Old District Road on 1902 map is where County Road is now.
Pennant Street used to be Jervious Street till at least 1902.
Queen Street ran off David Street (Hood Street) on LHS up till 1909, later called Mary Street. No longer shown on 1950s maps.
Rose Street shown on 1913, 1919, 1935 maps but changed to Coleridge St on 1/1/1951. Source – DCC archives.
Roslyn Shopping area renumbering and name changes in Highgate at Roslyn shopping area.
Ross Street as shown on 1913 map appears to have been Ross Avenue (crossed out and replaced with ‘Street’).
School Street the section from Tyne Street to Highgate was once District Road.
Sheen Street was called Frederick Street before 1913 but the 1902 map shows it being View Street at the City Road end.
Shetland Street – shown as Anderstons Road 1888 and 1909 directories, Shetland Street since 1913 map.
Strathmore Cres – was Littlebourne Cres.
Stuart Street (City) above York Place was Albert Street at least until after 1902.
Stuart Street (Kaikorai) – listed from Broughton Street (Brighton St) on 1902 Stones Directory, but not shown on 1902 map. Name change on 1913 map shows this street as Gilmore Street with Coupar crossed out above as if it may have been Coupar Street briefly.
Swanson Street – listed on 1902 Stones Directory as ‘Town Belt from Ross Street in Kilgour Ward.
Swanson Street 1913 maps shows this running from County Road up to Fife Street (parallel to Greenock Street) possibly a paper road. Not shown in 1936 but appears in 1942 Stones. 1956 shows it as just a short street off County Road.
Taieri Road originally started at Sligo Terrace, through the Roslyn township, past Church Street (Nairn Street), right up to 3 mile hill. (In 1888 was Main West Taieri Road and started at Forth Street (now Walton Street). The section between Highgate and Sligo Terrace became City Road in the early 1900s.
See also map showing street numbering changes at Roslyn shopping area.
Now Taieri Road starts at Kaikorai Valley Road with Stuart Street going from the railway station right up to Kaikorai Valley Road intersection (where it changes to Taieri Road).
Tay Street shown in 1888 listings, but changed to Tyne Street in 1913. Source – DCC archives.
Tweed Street Shown on 1902 map as where Culloden Street is now.
Tweed Street (2) on 1902 map is shown running between District Road (Highgate) and Font Street) and is now called Wright Street.
Tweed Street (3) on 1902 map shown running across the bottom of Selkirk, Fifield and Waverley (now Merlin) streets – is still Tweed Street (2007).
Tyne Street shown as Tay Street in 1888 listing changing to Tyne Street in 1913.
Vale Street shown in 1888 and 1902 directories appears where Mardale Street is today.
View Street changed to Ayr Street in 1913.
View Street (2) was the bottom end of Frederick Street on 1902 map, but both Frederick and View Streets later combined to be Sheen Street (running from Highgate to City Road).
Victoria Crescent (1909) later changed to Belgrave Crescent.
Wairoa Street – No change since 1913 map. Prior to this is was Main Street.
Wakari Street (Wakari) 1902, now Edgar Street.
Walton Street – No change since 1913 map but was Forth Street some time prior to 1909. Taieri Road end of Walton Street now no entry/exit.
Waverley Street is in 1909 street directory – shows on 1913 map as Charles Street and is currently Merlin Street.
William Street on 1902 map is now Hereford Street.
Wright Street shown as Linden Street on 1913 map but Wright St on 1919 map. However, 1909 shows it as Tweed Street.
(Original Article by Alan Gilchrist)