Roslyn Shops pre 1907

Laurenson's Bakery - Mann, Bookseller - Sherriff, Butcher - Clarkson, Hairdresser [Photograph (K168) courtesy of Mr Grant Sherriff - Roslyn]

Laurenson’s Bakery – Mann, Bookseller – Sherriff, Butcher – Clarkson, Hairdresser
[Photograph (K168) courtesy of Mr Grant Sherriff – Roslyn]

Continue reading

Kaikorai Brass Band, 1907

Kaikorai Brass Band, winners of the North and South Island championship shields at the International Exhibition in Christchurch. From the Otago Daily Times of 29 September 2007

Kaikorai Brass Band, winners of the North and South Island championship shields
at the International Exhibition in Christchurch. From the Otago Daily Times of 29 September 2007

Continue reading

Kaikorai Cable Cars – The start…

The Kaikorai line was the last of the three cable car services to be constructed for the hill suburbs of Dunedin. Construction of the line from the Octagon to the Nairn Street terminus at Kaikorai commenced in 1897 and took three years to complete. The first tram ran on 9th October 1900.

Looking at the picture (above left) you will see some “U” shaped devices either side of the tracks being constructed. These were made from sections of the steel tracks and were put into the ground with the open end upwards. You can see these in the centre of the tracks where the ‘tunnel’ for the cable car gripper was to travel.

Initially a steel wire rope was used but this later changed to a ‘conventional’ rope in 1940. The rope lasted a bit less than 2 years before having to be replaced.

Continue reading

Nairn Street – Taieri Road area c1900

This photograph would have been taken after 1900 when the Kaikorai cable cars commenced as the power house chimney is visible as are the cable car sheds. It was prior to 1907 as the new Kaikorai Presbyterian Church is not shown, just the 'T' shaped wooden church. Note the buildings on the Nairn Street edge of what was later to be the reserve area and the little shelter for cable car passengers to use (marked with arrow). Jellicoe Crescent curves round at the left of the picture.

This photograph would have been taken after 1900 when the Kaikorai cable cars commenced as the power house chimney is visible as are the cable car sheds. It was prior to 1907 as the new Kaikorai Presbyterian Church is not shown, just the ‘T’ shaped wooden church. Note the buildings on the Nairn Street edge of what was later to be the reserve area and the little shelter for cable car passengers to use (marked with arrow). Jellicoe Crescent curves round at the left of the picture.

 

(Original article by Alan Gilchrist)

Wm Ellis – Coal Merchant

William Ellis - Coal Merchant - 31 Kaikorai Valley Road Shown at this location in these years 1908 to 1950.

William Ellis – Coal Merchant – 31 Kaikorai Valley Road
Shown at this location in these years 1908 to 1950.

Continue reading

Kaikorai Street Map 1902 – also with 2007 street names.

Map from Stones Street Directory of 1902

Streets marked with red underline have changed, mostly from around 1913, 1916 era.

(Original Article by Alan Gilchrist)

Kaikorai School Jubilee 1869-1919 (Souvenir Booklet pages 1–11)

Kaikorai School Jubilee 1869-1919

Continue reading