Kaikorai Primary School Certificates & Prizes

A couple of certificates and prizes from the 1930s.

Good Attendance Certificate, 1932

Good Attendance Certificate, 1932

Continue reading

The Coal Yard & other stories (Part 7)

Schools in the district

Bill and Martha Ellis’s children all attended the Kaikorai School in Roslyn, whereas the Fred and Ellen Still’s children mostly attended Wakari School on the corner of Anderston Road (now Shetland Street) and Helensburgh Road. This school had first started in 1868 as a clay walled building across the Helensburgh Road and was later to become the Church of Good Shepherd.

The first school is the white building on the right hand corner and the newer stone  and brick building is across the road. The Still family lived in the cottage is above  the hedge which is above the School Master's house.

The first school is the white building on the right hand corner and the newer stone
and brick building is across the road. The Still family lived in the cottage is above
the hedge which is above the School Master’s house.

Continue reading

Kaikorai Primary School – 1948 ex-pupils and teachers Centenary Re-Union Service Sheet

1948 ex-pupils and teachers Centennary Re-Union Service Sheet

1948 ex-pupils and teachers Centenary Re-Union Service Sheet – Page 1 (from Gilchrist family archives)

Continue reading

Kaikorai School Jubilee 1869-1919 (Souvenir Booklet pages 36–44)

FIFE AND DRUM BAND.
J. H. MATHESON, BANDMASTER.
“Music is the link between the spiritual and the sensual life : it is a more lofty revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.” Thus spoke Beethoven. Music, hath charms, and there is a certain peculiar fascination about any band of musicians for boys: the music, the uniform, the ability to blow or play an instrument appeals to a boy, especially if he is musical.

FIFE AND DRUM BAND.

FIFE AND DRUM BAND.

Continue reading

Kaikorai School Jubilee 1869-1919 (Souvenir Booklet pages 28–35)

THE PRESENT SCHOOL COMMITTEE WITH LENGTH OF SERVICE OF EACH.

THE PRESENT SCHOOL COMMITTEE WITH LENGTH OF SERVICE OF EACH.
STANDING: P. L. RITCHIE, Treasurer (9 years); W. WILSON (17 years); E. WALDEN (2 years).
SITTING: A. MATHESON. Secretary (27 years); GEO. MOIR, Chairman (37 years); A. FERRY (34 years); J. C. SCULLY (2 years),
ABSENT: R. S. WARDROP (8 years); D. SCOTT (34 years).

Continue reading

Kaikorai School Jubilee 1869-1919 (Souvenir Booklet pages 18–27)

Reminiscences Early Days.

How time flies! Fifty years ago!, A long time in the eyes of Youth: a short time to those the years of whose lives are nearing or have passed the allotted three score years and ten: nothing in the sight of Him to whom a thousand years are but as yesterday when it is past and as a watch in the night !

Have the present generation any idea of what Dunedin was like fifty years ago? Possibly less than fifty of the present scholars know of the exceeding hard and rough conditions of life and surroundings of Dunedin and the now favourite suburb of Roslyn, where our School is so favourably situated; so the Jubilee Committee have arranged, as part or the Jubilee celebrations, for a lantern exhibition of the early days of the settlement of Dunedin, and of those who were our masters and teachers. Continue reading

Kaikorai School Jubilee 1869-1919 (Souvenir Booklet pages 12–18)

Rolls and Reports.

A compilation from the earliest available admission register to the present year shows that 7,504 pupils have attended the School. Educational authorities and inspectors co-operated with the long list of teachers in order that the children might obtain an intelligent, creditable start in life. The annual reports from ten different inspectors have been of a highly gratifying nature to all concerned, and the noted successes of pupils in the several competitions open to Primary School children most praiseworthy. The fact of 49 Education Board Scholarships having been won by Kaikorai pupils must speak for itself.

Continue reading

Kaikorai School (year unknown)

The old Tyne Street entrance to Kaikorai School. The memorial plaques have since been moved to the Wright Street entrance. The arches have been lowered, and the old school building has gone… the   asphalt playground is now on that spot.