William Taylor’s Bakery is in the center section of this building and Andrew Nicol, boot maker, in the righthand premises. The photograph was taken around 1902 as Frederick Reidy was the proprietor of the Boot Maker shop from some time prior to 1900 when the Kaikorai cable cars began operation (see photograph below). He was listed there in the 1902 Stones Street Directory. Reidy’s name is displayed on the rear of Taylors Bakery at the time when the cable car power house was being constructed – the cable cars commenced operation on 9th October 1900. However, Andrew Nicol is shown at that address in the photograph above (year not known).
It should be noted that street numbers were not published in the early Stones Street Directories which makes for some difficulty in placing businesses in an exact location without the aid of photographs. Directories prior to and including 1906 had no numbers shown, but numbers appeared from 1908.
(Original Article by Alan Gilchrist)